Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ms. Gin Returns

My first day back at the bar was a shock after being away at yoga teacher training. Different hours, different everything. But on Tuesday, I realized that life is about opposites. In yoga, we find that in the Shiva/Shakti (male/female) contrasts, exploring our relationships and energy. Both internal and external. And so applying that, bartending and yoga somehow offer me a new found sense of balance and grace. 

Something else new happened for me. I tossed around the word boyfriend when talking to male customers, if something came up that would naturally allow for the conversation to go there. Before yoga school, I had a rule of not mentioning my private romantic life, thinking that it detracted from who I was as a bartender. Yoga has taught me to find that inner-balance and to work with my own sexual energy and that I can find restraint and boundaries even when wearing tight, sequined tube tops. 

My boyfriend (we'll call him Mr. Gin for now) hung out at the bar the past two nights, helped me work on new recipes, getting involved in bar conversations, and even trying to help me when I shook my shaker shut making a martini. Sigh, I'm a lucky one :)

~

He's a gin fan and so I wanted to offer him something special, a variation away from his usual gin and tonic. Here's a new favorite courtesy of  Cocktails, Culture, and the Art of Drinking Well by Eric Felton:

Bittered Gin Sling

1 1/2 oz. gin
3/4 oz. sweet vermouth (you can also use sherry)
1/2 oz. lemon juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
a dash or so of Angostura bitters
soda water

Shake all ingredients except soda water in shaker with ice. Strain into highball glass over ice. Add soda water and garnish with a lemon twist.

Then toast someone you love, finding gratitude and joy in your glass as well as your practice, whether it's yoga, mixology, or anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment